Student Crowned State Champion in Costume Design for UIL Theatrical Design

Ria Bhatia, Lead Writer

On May 7 and 8, students across CFISD fine arts programs participated in the state UIL Theatrical Design Competition. The competition offered various events in which students were tasked with submitting designs or artwork inspired by Don Quixote, derived from Man of La Mancha. After being chosen from over two thousand entries through various categories, students advanced to the state meet in which Cypress Ranch High School’s Isabella Bozo was chosen as the State Champion designer for Costume Design.

Cypress Ranch High School student Isabella Bozo’s winning costume design of Man of La Mancha.

“I remember perking up and yelling at my phone,” said Isabella Bozo, describing when she found out she had won. “I haven’t really been able to process that momentary burst of energy I had when I found out, but either way, it’s a strange new feeling that I hope lasts for a little while longer.”

Bozo was enlightened about her win as it was certainly a surprise, but she could not have done it without her support system.

“I seriously couldn’t have gotten this far without all of the adults and my friends in the theatre program pointing me the right way, so many praises to them, truly,” said Bozo. “To the other participants and winners of set design and the other divisions, I want to say congratulations; you all really put a lot of work into your designs, and it truly shows!”

Cypress Ranch High School student and Theater UIL State Champion for Costume design Isabella Bozo.