Homecoming Parade Fosters Sense of Community

September 16, 2014

The Warner-Smith Boulevard was a mess of noise and anticipation on Wednesday, Sept. 10, with students and parents alike crouched along the side of the road, impatiently waiting for the famous Homecoming Parade to weave down the street. The sound of the drums rehearsing in the nearby parking lot rolled down the street to the waiting spectators, followed by the faint yells of the cheerleaders practicing their routines.

When the clock struck 7 P.M., a Cy-Fair police officer rang his siren and the procession began. Leading the parade were the solemn-faced ROTC officers, their serious demeanor juxtaposed with the cheerful smiles and yells of the Classics trailing after them.

After them came the Colorguard, twirling Mustang blue flags to the delight of the children (and some of the adults) crowded on the curb.

The Cy Ranch band marched after, providing a rich soundtrack to the cheers of the Classics and the whooshing and thumps of the Colorguard’s flags. Trailing after the tail-end of the band procession, made up of the tubas, were the band leaders, lounging in a festive buggy decorated for the occasion.

band buggy

After the band, the clubs and student organizations showcased their creative floats. The parade was led by the Homecoming King and Queen nominees, interspersed between the inventive floats of other student clubs.

The sports floats, such as the varsity football and volleyball floats, captured the spirit of their respective sports while still displaying the unique essences of their members; the volleyball’s romantic Paris-themed float was a definite contrast to the varsity cheer’s spirited football-themed trailer, but both helped raise the spirit of the crowd.

Other sports floats displayed their school spirit with copious amounts of blue and gold, like the wrestling and track floats.

Student clubs added to the parade’s sense of spirit, as well. The seniors’ float was decorated with blue and gold glitter and streamers, and the Stampede held the new, large blue and gold flags that flapped in the wind.

Some student organizations went above and beyond for their floats. The Dive and Swim team cruised down the street in an actual boat decorated with cardboard surfboards, towed by a truck with its very own pair of swimming goggles. The PALs ended the parade dressed as superheroes, lounging in a trailer surrounded by a cardboard city.

pals swim

All those huddled along the curb of the boulevard could feel the undercurrent of companionship and community fueled by the parade. Cheers from the crowd rose into the air following each float–cheers which were matched by the students.

The Homecoming Parade was a great introduction to both Homecoming week and the new school year.