“Fresh Faces” Previews New Talent

October 1, 2014

A buzz of anticipation settled over the students as they relaxed into the plush seats in the auditorium Thursday, Sept. 18, awaiting “Fresh Faces,” the annual freshman theatre performance. The play serves as the debut for many beginning theatre and technician students, allowing them to flex their new skills in front of peers.

Nerves were spilling out from behind the curtain where over 50 theatre students stood in the wings, waiting to begin their first high school theatre performance. Mainly dressed in their everyday clothes (for the actors were required to supply their own costumes), close to five dozen new theatre and theatre technician students were waiting with bated breath for the curtain to rise.

The stage, adorned with an impressive tee-pee (created frantically by the theatre tech students minutes before the show), risers, stools, and an assortment of colored crates, was the picture of the calm before the storm. The first pay of the year was jump started when the actors swarmed out on stage, assuming their positions and poses.

The play, titled “Around the World in 8 Plays,” was a fast-paced exploration of forgotten myths and unusual legends from all around the globe. The actors took the audience on a journey from the ancient Far East with a comedic retelling of a hero who must battle a giant centipede to a rural Russian landscape, where an orphan must fight three witches to reclaim his grandfather’s eyes.

The actors embraced their theatrical debut with gusto, working together with the theatre tech students to create a wonderful precursor to the future “The Addams Family” musical in October.