Varsity volleyball captain Shelley Fanning is interviewed by KHOU. (Lindsay Collier)
Varsity volleyball captain Shelley Fanning is interviewed by KHOU.

Lindsay Collier

Volleyball Player Honored with KHOU’s “Athlete of the Week”

October 7, 2014

The varsity volleyball team was all smiles as they filled the competition gym on Wednesday, Oct. 1 to rally behind Shelly Fanning, who was receiving the coveted “Athlete of the Week” award from KHOU. Their voices bounced off the walls as they joked around with the woman of the hour, asking her a barrage of faux-interview questions as they waited for the KHOU interviewer himself to arrive.

A hush fell over the team as KHOU Sports reporter Daniel Gotera  strode into the gym, laden with an intimidating camera-tripod combo, as well as the famous “Athlete of the Week” plaque. The volleyball team watched out of the corners of their eyes as he situated his camera in front of the volleyball net and fiddled with the controls. Time was ticking, and it wouldn’t be long before the camera would start rolling.

Senior varsity volleyball captain Shelly Fanning was the latest addition to KHOU’s long list of star athletes, whose excellence on the court shone like a beacon and earned her this award.

“It’s an awesome honor,” Fanning said. “I never thought I would get this opportunity. When they told me, I was pretty much speechless.”

Fanning accepts "Athlete of the Week" in front of the KHOU camera. The interview aired Oct. 5 at 10 P.M.
Lindsay Collier
Fanning accepts “Athlete of the Week” in front of the KHOU camera. The interview aired Oct. 5 at 10 P.M.

The volleyball team’s seven straight wins has put them in second place this year, due in no small part to Fanning.

Fanning, who led the district this year with 163 kills, was named to the varsity team her freshman year. Since then, she has become one of the few players who has lettered in varsity all four years of her high school experience.

“I love competing and being able to go out there and have fun and do my thing,” Fanning said.

Fanning’s mother introduced volleyball into her life when she young, and since then she hasn’t stepped off the court.

“It’s been lots and lots of hours of personal training,” said Fanning’s father.

“And some amazing coaches!” her mother chimed in.

Fanning’s team, to her, is more than just a team–they’re great friends, and that cohesiveness is what shot them to the top this year.

“Everyone gets along, and we know each other well,” Fanning said. “We hang out outside of volleyball. I think it’s that everyone gets along, that’s the main thing.”

Fanning is committed to Baylor, where she will play next season. As for right now, though, Fanning’s goals are closer to home.

“We hope to make it to state,” Fanning said. ” That’s our big goal.”