Theatre Sweeps at Texas Thespian Festival

Greg Andrews 2013

Lindsay Collier, Editor

Cy Ranch Theatre students traveled to Dallas during Nov. 20-22 to perform in the Texas Thespian Festival, and came home valiant champions. Thirty Cy Ranch students received first- and second-place awards, making up almost half of the awards bestowed on the 75 students representing CFISD.

With these honors, the students now qualify for the national competition and will be heading to the University of Nebraska on June 20-27.

“I respect and appreciate the work that our teachers are doing to prepare our district’s students for contests such as the Texas Thespian Festival; which challenges students to broaden and expand their theatre experience both on the competitive, as well as on the academic levels,”  said Coordinator of Secondary Fine Arts Tim Estelle.

Among those given first place awards were senior Cat Reynolds for the MusicalWorks Contest, senior Taylor Needham for Monologue, senior Rebecca Stanley for Solo Musical, senior Rachel Stewart for Costume Design, and Max Foster, Tyler Hardin, Chance Jarvis, Corey Jennings, Carson Leonard, Liam McGarity, José Mogollon, Brendan Morrow, Michael Pham, and Ryan Simon for Group Musical.

Given second place awards were senior Emily Deragon for Duet Musical, senior Abby Weeks for Duet Musical, Cole Yates and Cole Andrews for Sound Design, and Sarah Bartholomew, Dani Dinderman, Mallory Fondren, Kelsey Giallanza, Christina Gibson, Meghan Gwinn, Kaylie Hidalgo, Kerensa McMurphy, Cat Reynolds, Kylie Snyder, and Grace Whaley for Group Musical.

Senior Cat Reynolds expressed her gratitude at the honor she has received.

“I was so incredibly humbled to win this award, and by the wonderful response my piece received from so many kind people,” she said.