National Merit Honorees Announced

Lindsay Collier

The National Merit scholars pose for the camera.

Lindsay Collier, Editor

The 2015 National Merit award-winners from Cy Ranch have been announced by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation, the administrators of the PSAT/NMSQT.

The National Merit semifinalists from Cy Ranch are Eduardo Cedeño and Patrick Kelly.

These semifinalists, two of 22 students from CFISD, are among the top 16,000 scorers of the PSAT in country and are in the top one percent of those who entered the program. Along with this honor comes the opportunity to win one of 8,000 scholarships given by the National  Merit Scholarship Corporation.

Along with the semifinalists, Cy Ranch had thirteen Commended students, who placed in the top three percent of PSAT testers. These students are Juan David Benavides, Andrew Alexander Hadad, Sidney LeBlanc, Siri S. Magadi, Samuel Morrill, Muhammad Ramish Nadeem, Emily Nguyen, Juan Otero, Terrence Park, Maxwell Pearce, Casey Porter, Michael Walther, and Rahul Zahroof.

Thirteen students from Cy Ranch were also named Hispanic Scholars, including Christopher Azaldegui, Juan David Benavides, Eduardo Cedeño, Andrew Alexander Hadad, Daniela Herrera, Megan Ingledew, Patrick Kelly, Miguel Lira, Maria Elisa Lynch, Juan Otero, Laura Pava, Jacob Andrew Reed, and Brandon Urrea.  These Hispanic Scholars were among the top 5,000 testers of over 250,000 Hispanic juniors who took the PSAT.

National Achievement semifinalists from Cy Ranch are Shason Briscoe, Meghan Alexis Gwinn, and Hannah Maxwell. National Achievement awards are given to outstanding African-American students, and the three from Cy Ranch are among the 15 total scholars in CFISD who were given this honor and the 4,700 students in the U.S.

These students were honored at the Berry Center on Monday, Feb. 2 for their achievements.