Choir Students Named to All-State Ensembles

Lindsay Collier, Editor

For many, music is a beacon–an art that helps students navigate the turbulent years of adolescence by providing not only a wonderful community but a sense of beauty. For four Cy Ranch choir students, this love of music has elevated them to a level of considerable skill. This talent that has helped them achieve a high honor: being named to the TMEA all-state performing groups.

Every year, the Texas Music Educators Association (TMEA) forms a total of fifteen ensembles, made up of the most talented band, orchestra, and choir students the state has to offer. The audition process begins in November and is arduous, to say the least: though 60,000 students across Texas vie for a spot in the groups, only 1,500 students are named to the ensembles. These four Ranch students are among only 32 from CFISD who were named.

Senior Mayra Castellanos and juniors Juliana Dean and Rachel Menchaca were named to the TMEA Women’s Choir, and senior Ricardo Mercado was named to the TMEA Men’s Choir.

Being named to these ensembles mean that these students headed to the annual TMEA Clinic and Convention in San Antonio on Wednesday, Feb. 11, where they dedicated three days to rehearsals led by nationally-recognized conductors.

The weekend culminated in the final ensemble performance on Saturday, Feb. 14 at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center, where the students performed before thousands of attendees.