Project Prom Brightens Prom Experience

Project Prom Brightens Prom Experience

Lindsay Collier, Editor

For girls, the most exciting part of preparing for prom isn’t the anticipation, the extravagant preparations, or even coordinating with friends or dates–it’s the search for the perfect prom dress. The search, though, isn’t always as fun as the dress.

Prom dresses undoubtedly add to the already-rising costs of prom. Pair it with limousine rentals, after-prom plans, the costs of makeup and other accessories, and the final receipt peaks into the hundreds, if not thousands.

Seeing prom dresses going for hundreds of dollars can be disparaging to girls who want the most out of one of the highlights of high school, but Project Prom hopes to lessen the burden.

Project Prom, sponsored by the First Metropolitan Church, works with community members to provide free prom dresses and accessories to senior girls to relieve the financial strain.

This Saturday, Mar. 28, First Metropolitan held an event for girls seeking to get the most out of their prom experience. Starting at 10 A.M., senior girls walked a red carpet into a world of opportunities: after a homemade brunch, girls met with fashion and beauty consultants to find their perfect dress and experiment with makeup possibilities.

“The best part of all is that these young ladies will have some caring mentors in their midst who will impart wisdom on prom etiquette, how to carry oneself like a lady, and resist possible prom night peer pressures,” said Project Prom employee Michelle Ogletree. “Project Prom is an opportunity to make some young ladies’ dreams come true on Prom Night.”

The Project brightened the plans of dozens of girls, helping them to remember their one and only prom.