Ranch Opens its Doors for a New Librarian

Zoe Ethridge, Writer

Opening a book and diving into the world of literature is what makes the library so fun. Well, for most people. For others, it could just be helping students find a book to read, or even take on technology for the first two weeks of school. That’s what Jean Qualtrough, Cy Ranch’s new librarian, enjoys doing most.

“It always makes me happy if I can help someone,” she said. “That’s always been my favorite thing about education in general.”

Qualtrough began her journey at Cy Ranch last August, taking her place at library’s desk when the school opened its doors. Although new to the district, she was very confident and happy to be here. She knew she wanted to work at Cy Ranch the moment she stepped through the doors.

“You know how sometimes you just know?” Qualtrough said with a big smile on her face. “I knew I wanted to be at this school when I walked in. I think Cy Ranch chose me.”

Teaching for years before, there is no one better to become the new librarian at Cy Ranch other than Qualtrough herself. Her passion lies solely in reading, and sharing them with others is what she enjoys most.

“My sister never read,” she said. “But I always loved it.”

Although she’s from a different district, she’s very excited about being here at Ranch, and mentions as much as possible that she’s in love with helping everyone.

“I’m thrilled to be here, I really am,” Qualtrough said.  “The students are wonderful and the staff are great.”

Her passion for Ranch became more and more obvious as she spoke about getting to help students on a daily basis, though assisting isn’t the only thing she loves about her job. She has a passion for all books, a passion that she loves to pass on to students.

“This is starting my fifth year in education,” Qualtrough said. “If it’s something you don’t like to do, life’s too short—find something else.”