Community Gets Involved During Homecoming Week

Homecoming is a tradition in the United States that serves as a time for graduated students to return to their hometown, hence the name “homecoming.” Typically, a Friday night football game takes place and is followed by a school dance.

This year, the week of Homecoming was filled to the brim with festivities within in the school and community, such as a parade and multiple pep rallies. Some see Homecoming as overrated, while others think of it as the highlight of their year. Either way, it is an event that brings the entire community together in celebration of school spirit.

The much-anticipated Spirit Day on Friday, Sept. 18 brought Homecoming week to a conclusion on a lively note, though it was far from the only event that rocked the halls. Homecoming week kicked off on Monday with the theme of “America Day,” and the school colors of blue and gold were momentarily overpowered with the patriotic red, white, and blue.

Each year at Cy Ranch, dress up days are assigned to students and staff to create excitement for the big Homecoming game that take place at the end of the week. This year, the dress up days consisted of America Monday, Twin Tuesday, Wacky Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and Spirit and Mum/Garter Day.

The Homecoming Parade arrived in the middle of the week, marching down the streets on Wednesday night. Students involved in sports, clubs and other organizations decorated floats, then rode down the street while parents and community members cheered on the sidelines. The band started the parade in song and the Homecoming court nominees follow close behind.

“I wasn’t able to go to the parade this year but I heard it was really fun,” said Lopez.

With Friday came the traditional mums and garters, a unique facet of Texas high school life that never fails to induce enthusiasm. Indeed, walking into school on Friday, one is at once bombarded with an overload of sound and sight–mums as large as a person trail on the ground and fill the hallways with a chaotic melody of bells and whistles.

At the very end of the week, students wear their mums and garters to school and to the football game. Sounds of bells and chimes are always constant on this school day, as students strut the halls while accompanied by this festive accessory.

“Mums can honestly be a little bit annoying,” said junior Kaitlynn Christian. “But everyone wears them and they’re a part of tradition so you just have to put up with it for the day.”

One of the most exciting parts of homecoming week is the football game. On Friday, Sept. 18, the Cy Ranch Mustangs played against the Langham Creek Lobos. This sold-out match is both schools’ Homecoming game, so the energy from the opposing student sections was radiant.

“I am so excited for the football game,” said junior Alyssa Lopez. “But I run cross country and we have a meet before the game so I will be a little late, but that’s okay. I am still going to show up to the game and try to push my way to the front so I can yell and cheer loud.”

The build-up during Homecoming week was incredible, and it culminated on Saturday with the much-anticipated Homecoming Dance at the Berry Center.

“My date and I are meeting up to taking pictures, going to dinner, and then going to the dance,” said Christian. “After, we’re just going to hang out with a bunch of friends so it should be a really fun night. I’m excited.”

Between the events that go on in the community and in school, every student should experience Homecoming at least once in their high school career.