Christmas Around the World

Christmas Around the World

The fireplace is crackling in the living room, and the smell of evergreen fills the air. Tinsel and ornaments are strewn across the tree’s sturdy branches. Mistletoe hangs under the door frame as melodies of “Jingle Bells” and “Joy to the World” float from the kitchen. The house is decked in yuletide cheer. Christmas traditions stem from all over the globe, though not every country celebrates Saint Nick’s visit quite like the United States.

The beloved American tradition of decorating a Christmas tree with ornaments and popcorn was actually first a traditional part of German Christmas culture. The Christmas tree was brought to America in the 1820s when German immigrants put up Christmas trees in the Pennsylvania homes.

Though the country graciously lent America its most notable Christmas tradition, Germany still celebrates the winter holidays in its own unique way. During the month of December, German families will light a candle every Sunday until four are burning the day of Christmas. Once all the candles are aflame, German citizens use the Christmas holiday as a way to spend quality time with loved ones.

“On the weekends before Christmas, we go to Christmas markets and I bake cookies with my grandma,” said German foreign exchange student sophomore Yasmin Rauscher. “We decorate our Christmas trees on the morning of December 24, then we go to church. In the evening, my grandparents come over and we have dinner. The next two days we visit family and friends.”

The Czech Republic’s celebration of Christmas is similar to Germany’s, but with their own special twist. Prague’s famous Christmas market is renowned throughout the world, and Czech foreign exchange student Bara Nemcova says it is essential for a Czech Christmas.

“Everyone should visit the market at least once in their life,” she said. “The market is in the center of Prague and we light up a huge Christmas tree every year.”

The Czech Republic has their own unique traditions as well.

“We celebrate Christmas on the 24th in the evening,” Nemcova said. “There is a legend that if you do not eat all day, you will see a golden pig. Some people try to survive all day without food, such as me, but I’ve never seen the golden pig.”

Scandinavian countries honor St. Lucia on December 13 each year. This day marks the beginning of the Christmas holiday, and the day traditionally starts when the oldest daughter wakes each family member while wearing a crown made of twigs with nine lighted candles. While few families still recognize this fabled tradition, Scandinavia still finds unique ways to celebrate.

“[December 13] is one of the darkest days of the year,” said  Norwegian foreign exchange student junior Ingrid Halvorsen. “Kids in elementary school will sing songs in white clothes while holding candles and giving out this traditional cake called lussekater.”

In Taiwan, Christmas celebration are focused less on the mad scramble of gift-giving so familiar here in America, and more on the fun experiences of the holiday season.

“In Taiwan, we celebrate Christmas for fun and love,” said Taiwanese foreign exchange student sophomore Wei-Jhen Dai. “Parents don’t have to buy gifts for their children. Some families don’t even do anything on Christmas. If we do anything on Christmas, it’s just for fun.”

The Christmas season brings familiar family traditions into each home, all in the overwhelming spirit of Christmas cheer. So whether Fröhliche Weihnachten, Feliz Navidad, Gledelig Jul, buon natale, or hyvää joulua is said, people in countries around the world share a special time with their families each December.