Students Play in Virtuosi Chamber Orchestra

Canterbury (back row, far right) and Lawton (front row, second from the left) are among the 12 CFISD students who play in the orchestra.

Lindsay Collier, Editor

Senior Joshua Canterbury and sophomore Leilani Lawton are part of the prestigious Virtuosi of Houston Young Artists Chamber Orchestra, a local organization made up of the most talented young musicians in the Houston area.

The Virtuosi Orchestra gives the young players opportunities to perform in professional settings, and the rigor of rehearsals prepares them for a career in music. The two-and-a-half hour rehearsals are led by two renowned conductors, Andrzej Grabiec and Franz Anton Krager, who have developed a uniquely personal way of teaching their students.

“The conductors are amazing,” Lawton said. “They’re so different, but you can tell that they both love what they’re doing and that they care about you individually … They’re so full of endless information to help you play better.”

Canterbury has been playing music for seven years and has been a part of Virtuosi for three, and his time playing in the orchestra has helped his skill immensely.

“Virtuosi really gives a different look than school orchestra,” he said. “For me, school orchestra is not as challenging, whereas in Virtuosi we play the original pieces and the full symphonies, and it’s a bit more challenging.”

Though the pieces are difficult, these challenges are a blessing in disguise for Lawton, who joined Virtuosi this year.

“This orchestra experience has definitely pushed me,” she said. “I’ve never been in such a hard orchestra with such hard music, but I’ve also never had such a positive orchestra experience.”

The things that the orchestra teaches expand beyond music, though.

“It’s impacted me in a lot of different ways,” Lawton said. “They say that music helps you think differently, and it helps me in school. [I’ve learned] patience, diligence, responsibility, and time management.”

Lawton’s first year in Virtuosi has been a whirlwind. Prior to auditioning for the orchestra, she considered quitting music, but her experience with Virtuosi has strengthened her passion.

“I’m so grateful that I [auditioned] because I’ve never been a part of such a great orchestra surrounded my such great people and such great conductors,” she said. “It’s really pushed me, and now quitting is not even on my mind.”

A result of the orchestra’s prestige is its small size, as it is made up of only 53 members. Canterbury and Lawton have found, though, that this has created a special bond with their fellow musicians.

“The atmosphere is kind of like we’re a big family and I’ve never been in an orchestra like it,” Canterbury said.

Being in the orchestra has given Canterbury and Lawton many amazing opportunities, including performing at the Hobby Center’s Zilkha Hall and visiting the Paris Conservatoire in Paris, France.

Playing in Zilkha Hall was the opportunity of a lifetime for Lawton.

“I’ve never been in such a professional hall,” she said. “You felt like it was a real thing—and it was a real thing! I remember that concert, I felt so good afterwards. I didn’t want to stop.”

In March 2015, Vitruosi traveled across the ocean to spend a week at the Paris Conservatoire and perform with their students. For Canterbury, the cross-cultural experience was eye-opening.

“It was really cool that, even though we’re in different parts of the world, we can still play the same music,” he said.

Ultimately, being a part of Virtuosi has given Canterbury and Lawton an experience they will keep with them forever.

“It makes me want to be better and try harder,” Lawton said. “It’s definitely made me aim higher with my goals.”