TMEA Awards Scholarship to Choir Member Reed Sellers

January 26, 2018

Cypress Ranch High School senior Joshua Reed Sellers was awarded the Texas Music Educators Association (TMEA) Executive Board Undergraduate Scholarship, valued at $12,500. Sellers was selected from a group of more than 60 candidates. Very few students across the state of Texas receive this award every year. This is a great achievement for Sellers, as well as the Cypress Ranch Choir program.

Receiving the scholarship came as a surprise to Sellers. On the evening of January 23rd (the evening before the award was presented), Sellers wasn’t sure he’d even qualify.

“Last night, you told your mother that you didn’t think you qualified,” Cypress Ranch Head Principal, Michael Maness, said to Sellers at the ceremony. “The truth is, she knew you would receive this scholarship all along.”

There is no denying – Sellers has made a lasting impact on the Cypress Ranch Choir program. One of Sellers’ peers, junior Rafil Uddin, spoke highly of Reed.

“Reed is one of the most dedicated performers in choir,” Uddin said. “His voice is amazing, and it’s fitting for him to win this scholarship.”

Sellers attributes his success to his choir directors, Cynthia Douglass and Adam Bishea.

“Mrs. Douglas is almost like another mom to me, and she has so much wisdom,” Sellers said. “Mr. Bishea has helped me immensely with all the things I’ve done in choir. I don’t know if I would be where I am right now without them.

Sellers and his choir instructor, Cynthia Douglas, celebrate at the award ceremony.

With the scholarship money, Sellers plans to continue his education, in hopes of becoming a middle school (or high school) choir director. He plans on attending either Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, or the University of Texas in Austin.

“Music is important to me,” Sellers said. “I have so many great experiences with music. I want to be a choir director. My dream is to spread the knowledge I’ve gained, and joy I’ve felt in choir. It’s important for people to have music in their life no matter what they end up doing, and I want to help with that.”

Donate to The Mustang Messenger
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal