Team Spotlight: Boy’s Soccer

February 23, 2018

In the midst of the busy spring semester, the Cypress Ranch Boy’s Soccer team strove to reach their highest potential for the 2018 season. Since the beginning of their season in January, the team competed at a high level against other CFISD teams, as well as out-of-district teams.

All parts of the Mustang Boy’s Soccer program (varsity, junior varsity, sophomore and freshmen players) put forth a tremendous amount of effort to ensure the team had a successful season. After-school practice every day to coordinate plays and practice drills, in addition to a full period during the school day, help the team keep their stamina and endurance. During the off-season, the soccer players spend huge chunks of time in the weight room.

“It’s everyone’s duty to put in effort,” junior and center back of the junior varsity team, Lane Taylor said. “A team is only as strong as its weakest link, so if one person decides not to put in the effort, it affects the whole team.”

The amount of time the team spends together in training, traveling and competing allows them to create a winning culture. Players are always supportive of one another. In victory and defeat, the boys are quick to evaluate each other and lift each other up.

“Everyone is willing to accept their mistakes, learn from them, and not shift the blame to anyone else.” junior and junior varsity captain, Jackson Cotter said. “We all understand it’s a team game, and we need each other to win. Our team motto is ‘all in.'”

Jackson Cotter kicking off the game against Cy Ridge.

Junior and center back of the junior varsity team, Ian Matthews, gives us an inside perspective:

How did you become interested in soccer?

“My dad is a big soccer player, and is invested into the sport, so he pushed me to try it and I found it fun.”

Who are some of your biggest influences?

“My coaches. They show me the areas I need to work on, and keep me focused on those areas. My dad also keeps me on track, and inspires me to continue playing after high school.

Coach Gropell motivates the soccer team to push harder during their game against Cy Ridge on February 10, 2018.

What’s the competitive nature like inside the locker room?

“We definitely support each other as a team to work together by pushing each other to do our best.”

What are the team’s goals for the season?

“We have a strong team this year, so we have high hopes of winning district at the end of March.”

What about you? What are your personal goals?

“My only goal is to continue to pursue soccer for as long as I can. Soccer helps me relax after going through my busy school schedule. It makes my day enjoyable.”

How has soccer helped you in other aspects of your life?

“It has taught me to be supportive while working with many different people, to be dedicated to something, and to put in work where it’s necessary.”

Do you plan on playing soccer after high school?

“My hopes are to attend University of Texas, were I hope to continue playing soccer.”

Ian Matthews during the soccer game against Cy Ridge on February 10, 2018.

Come out and cheer for the Mustang boy’s soccer team at their next home game against Cy Lakes on Friday, February 23, 2018. Junior Varsity begins at 5:30 pm and varsity begins at 7:30pm.

Donate to The Mustang Messenger
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal