Spotlight: National Honor Society

February 19, 2018

On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 the Cypress Ranch division of National Honor Society (NHS) held their second monthly meeting. After the induction of juniors into the chapter last December, the organization has increased in size – now including more than a few hundred students. The National Honors Society continues to carry out their prestige agenda while seeking to maintains its reputation of excellence.

National Honor Society goes beyond the walls of Cypress Ranch. There are many chapters around the nation, and it is estimated that over one million students nationwide take part in NHS. Established in 1921 by the  National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP), the NHS recognizes outstanding students and helps them further develop as individuals. NHS intends to create enthusiasm for further education in addition to stimulating a desire to render service, promote leadership and develop character in the students of secondary schools.

The society is exclusive, and it does not include every student who makes honor roll. The organization accepts individuals who have demonstrated good character and leadership skills; and those who have devoted time and service to their community. These aspects also contribute to the society’s standards for retaining membership.

“NHS has taught me that it is not enough to be good at school if you are not using that knowledge and leadership to help the others around you,” senior member Jamie Gutierrez says. “Being empathetic to other’s problems is something I hope will help me become a better member of society.”

In NHS, one can expect to acquire new skills through the many events the society participates in almost every day. Some events include tutoring middle school students throughout the district, dedicating time to church occasions throughout the community, donating items to many different drives, supporting classmates in school activities, and helping teachers throughout the Cypress Ranch campus. Students gain communication skills, time management skills, interpersonal skills, and learn how to better help others in carrying out specific tasks.

“Volunteering in NHS has given me great experiences and friends,” junior member Mindy Cho says. “It has also allowed me to have impact on our community while being around those who have the same passion of helping others.”

National Honor Society continues to serve – aiding students in becoming productive members of society and setting them up for future success. The Mustang chapter of NHS strives to fulfill the organization’s high expectations.

Donate to The Mustang Messenger
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal