Mustangs Beat Judson, Advance to State

Cy Ranch students storm the field after the football team scores the winning point.

Ryan Estes, Writer

Cypress Ranch nosed its way out of Saturday’s game with a hard-won victory against the Converse Judson Rockets in the Class 6A state semifinal match at the Alamadome in San Antonio this past Saturday, Dec. 13. The Mustangs racked up a decisive 38 points to Judson’s 31, propelling them to the state championship.

In the 75-year history of CFISD, this win marks only the second time a CFISD school has made it all the way to state. This upcoming game will be a time for many firsts: the first Class 6A state title, the first Cy Ranch journey to state, and the first time that Cy Ranch will play at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington.

“We have great coaches and great athletes in our district,” said head football coach Gene Johnson. “That competition tests your mettle and forces you to work as a team. That’s part of what we’re proving. Now we have the chance to play for a state championship.”

Cypress Ranch (13-2) is set to play against Allen High School (15-0) for the UIL Division 1 championship title. Allen emerged from their match against Dallas Skyline with a 52-34 win.

The Mustangs will journey to Arlington on Dec. 20 to battle for the state championship title at the AT&T Stadium. The game will be broadcast live on Fox Sports Southwest and Fox Sports Southwest Plus at 8 P.M. Tickets are on sale for $12 for adults and $8 for students starting Dec. 16 at Cy Ranch and at the Berry Center. Tickets will be also available for $15 at the gate.