Science Olympiad Grabs Third at District

The Science Olympiad team along with adviser Justin Powers poses with their third place trophy.

Marina Vences, Contributor

The Cypress Ranch Science Olympiad team went to district competition this Saturday, Jan. 31 and ended the day with a well-earned third place overall win.

There were noticeable successes for each member of the team, most notable of which were seniors Rahul Zahroof and Max Pearce in Science Word and the pair of junior David Zhou and freshman Steven Wang in Entomology, all who earned first place wins in their categories. In total, the team took home four first place medals, nine second place medals, and four third place medals against the fourth and fifth best teams in the entire state.

The day lasted from seven in the morning to four in the evening and included events that ranged anywhere from Earth Science to Physics and Chemistry. This team has been preparing twice a week for two months leading up to the competition, and the hard work they have put in was obvious in the results that they earned.

“This is one of our best Science Olympiad teams and I’m really proud of the work everyone put in,” said Team Captain senior Max Pearce. “We have Regionals in a month and our goal now is to clinch first.”

The team has been working for months toward this competition and the school is very proud of their efforts and wins. Hopefully they can keep this up through the regional and state competitions and bring home the gold for our school–way to go Science Olympiad!