Ronaldo Class Now Offered in Canada

Kyle Roemlein, Writer

Do you have a passionate love for Cristiano Ronaldo? Does this soccer superstar’s moves lure you and make you want to learn more about him? If you answered yes to both of these questions, the University of British Columbia Okanagan may be the place for you!

This University in Canada is now offering a sociology degree that is centered around this legend on the pitch. The course will look at Ronaldo’s career; specifically, his ascension to stardom and his global fan base. However, the course does not solely focus on the player, according to Professor Luis Aguiar. Aguiar explained that “it [the class] starts with Ronaldo, but Ronaldo is almost like a springboard to talk about larger issues.”

As wild as this may sound, this is not the first instance in which a course was taught and focused on a stunning soccer star. Staffordshire University in England gave students the opportunity to participate in a 12-week class educating them on David Beckham’s impact on society. Among the topics that students discussed were his marriage and haircuts.

It is a crazy way to approach collegiate education, and I am curious to see how it works. I wonder how many students will sign up and stay with this course–specifically, how many students in the US would volunteer to take this course? Soon, we might see education in American universities centered around players like of LeBron James and Peyton Manning. I think we can all agree that taking a course centered around one of your favorite athletes would make you motivated to pay attention.