Historic Basketball Season Ends in Second Round

Kyle Roemlein, Writer

Our fellow Mustang basketball team took on the Seven Lakes Spartans this past Friday. Feb. 27 at the Don Coleman Coliseum. This was the first time in Ranch’s history that the basketball team had advanced to the playoffs, and they hoped to continue their new-found success in this second-round playoff game. This was a pretty even match-up, as 19-15 Seven Lakes took on a 18-13 Cy Ranch squad.

Seven Lakes was coming off a close 54-46 win over a mediocre Lamar in the opening round.

Meanwhile, the Mustangs were exhilarated  after an overtime win over 18-6A district champ Eisenhower the previous Monday, Feb. 23. After losing a halftime lead, the Mustangs found the strength to come back in the fourth quarter as junior Miles Simms hit a game-tying three pointer with three seconds left to go in regulation. Overtime was owned by Ranch, as they outscored the Eagles 10-4 in the four minute period to win 72-66.

To start the game off, the Spartans were able to race out to a 10-4 lead behind a tenacious defense. Sophomore Blake Nevins answered this run with a pair of threes to eventually tie the game at 12-12. The teams continued to trade buckets into the second quarter, and eventually the Mustangs were able to obtain their first lead of the game. This was thanks to some excellent post moves from junior Elish Benjamin. However, a quick run by Seven Lakes led to a 27-25 deficit for the Mustangs at half time.

Seven Lakes’ junior Kameron McGusty asserted his dominance to open the second half. The junior scored a handful of his 29 points, helping the Spartans gain a 33-25 advantage.

Much of the same was seen in the pivotal opening minutes of the fourth quarter. A shred of hope was seen after acrobatic drives by Simms and a three by senior Keivion Burns. Seven Lakes were able to counter that, however, by sinking nearly all free throws in the closing minutes on the way to a 55-45 victory.

Despite the results of the Mustangs’ final game, this unprecedented season has proved that more success is yet to come.