Mustangs Named to All-District Girls’ Basketball Teams

Mustangs Named to All-District Girls' Basketball Teams

Kyle Roemlein, Writer

Following a playoff season for the Cy Ranch girls’ basketball teams and a 6A state championship for CFISD affiliate Cy Woods, awards were handed out to the top players in the district. The coaches of each school voted to determine the winners. District 17-6A is one of the top in the state for girls’ basketball, which means winning an award or receiving an honor is a huge deal. A total of three girls from Ranch were voted onto the CFISD first and second all-district girls’ basketball teams, while two players obtained honorable mentions.

Freshman D’Asia Collins and sophomores Didi Richards, Ariana Whitfield, Alyssa Guerrero, and Becca Watzke were the five Mustangs to receive the awards. Richards was the sole member of Cy Ranch on the all-district first team.

Collins and Whitfield are both on the second team, while Guerrero and Watzke were given honorable mentions. This would be Whitfield’s second consecutive year being on an all-district team.

All five girls are well-deserving of the honors, as they were essential to their teams’ regular season run. The quintet combined to average 47.6 points throughout the 34 games that they played. Needless to say, these girls were instrumental to their team this season. The Lady Mustangs basketball teams are looking forward to improving next year as they have no graduating seniors.