Ranch “Lights it up Blue” for Autism Awareness Day

Kamryn Kobal, Writer

Autism Spectrum Disorder, usually shortened to Autism, is a neurodevelopmental disorder that causes social impairments, lack of communication skills, and repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior. Recent research has shown that about 1 in 68 children (1 in 42 boys and 1 in 189 girls) are diagnosed with some type of ASD.

ASD creates social, communication, and behavioral challenges, which makes it hard for one with ASD to communicate and function in social settings. To spread awareness on Autism, the entire month of April is known as Autism Awareness Month.

Specifically, April 2nd has been named “Light it Up Blue” day. Light it Up Blue  is a campaign created by the Autism Speaks organization to help raise awareness by wearing blue.  Since males are four times more likely to be diagnosed with ASD than females, so the color blue represents the majority of people with ASD.

“Working with special needs students allowed me to understand that they really are just normal people,” senior Kelli Mosher said. “Just because they might have trouble communicating doesn’t mean they are any different than other high school students. I participated in ‘Light it up Blue’ to show my support in Autism awareness.”