Mustangs Sign on to Colleges

Mustangs Sign on to Colleges

Kyle Roemlein, Writer

During the fall signing period, we saw quite a few Mustangs sign their letters of intent to continue their careers and move on to the next level. We had the opportunity to see eight of our fellow Cy Ranch classmates sign on to play university sports. A variety of teams and signees gathered into the LGI along with friends and family as they watched baseball, tennis, soccer, softball, and volleyball players commit.

The team with the most college-bound athletes was the upstart boys’ soccer team, who were able to make history in the team’s first playoff berth in program history. Seniors Kieran Coull, Tony DelValle, and Martin Vila were the three players that signed their intents. Coull committed to Letourneau University, DelValle decided to go to McPherson College, and Martin Vila is headed to Southwestern University.

Senior Weston Brown was the lone baseball commit as he signed on to play for the Hill College. He will join the Rebels this fall, though his high school career is not over. The Mustangs still have a few games to go in the regular season followed hopefully by a long playoff run.

Tennis player senior Christian Borrero decided to commit to Cowley College in Kansas. Borrero still has a few matches left in his season, as himself and his doubles partner, freshman Dylan Payne, have advanced to the state competition after narrowly finishing second.

Our softball team went undefeated in district play and had two players sign on. Outfielders and seniors Devin Stratton and Olivia Kaase committed to Odessa College and Concordia University, respectively.

Volleyball also added one last athlete to their list of commits. Senior Kelsey Smith decided to play for Wharton College.

A total of eight Mustang athletes are going on to continue their careers on the college level. That number alone speaks to the success of the athletics program at our school. We congratulate these hard-working boys and girls and wish them luck at the next level.