Students Spend a Night in Athens at Prom

Madison Garner

The Prom Queen Alexis Tarpley poses with friends after receiving her crown.

This year at the senior prom, students spent a night in Athens where they danced, sang, and dined like Greek gods and goddesses.

The dance took place on Friday, May 8 at the Corinthian in downtown Houston, one of the nicest venues in the city. With vines intertwined above the dance floor and white and gold decorations that lined the walls, the elegant setting fit the Greek Athens theme perfectly.

“The Corinthian was such a nice venue to have prom,” senior Emily Honeywell said. “The Greek Athens theme was displayed very well and was a nice touch to the night.”

Overall, this year’s prom had 851 students in attendance and about 30 adults that helped chaperone. At the dance, students filled the dance floor in their ball gowns and tuxedos while the DJ played songs from every genre and even got a few line dances going.

Towards the end of the night, the Senior Prom King and Queen were announced. Nominees included seniors Maryse Bombito, Katherine Jennings, Jessyln Armansyah, and Alexis Tarpley, who were all vying for the Queen’s crown. Seniors William Becker, Abe Carloto, Jackson Solbeck, James Overbaugh, and Noah Thompson were in the running for Prom King.

At the end of the night amid cheers, Alexis Tarpley and Noah Thompson were crowned the official 2015 Prom Queen and King.

“It was such an honor to even be nominated and I had so much fun,” senior Maryse Bombito said. “Even though I didn’t win, it was still a night I’ll always remember.”

Once the dance ended at 11 P.M., students piled back in their limos and party buses to head over to Katy, where they could attend the school-hosted lock-in at Main Event. Main Event was a way to assure that students would have a safe ending to their Prom night. At the lock-in, students could bowl, play laser tag, sing karaoke, play arcade games, and more.

“Going to Main Event was a pretty great experience, getting unlimited bowling and games for the whole night,” senior Dylan Brokemeyer said. “And there’s nothing better than having a bunch of sleep deprived kids 30 feet in the air on a ropes course.”

At 6:00 A.M. the next morning, buses took the students back to Cy Ranch, where most went home to sleep for a few hours before continuing on with their “Prom Weekend.”

“After prom was a weekend I’ll never forget,” Brokemeyer said. “Getting to spend the whole weekend with some of my closest friends is something I’ll keep with me forever.”

Prom serves as the last “hoo-rah” for the seniors before they all part their separate ways. Getting dressed up, going to dinner, dancing, and spending the weekend together allows them to create unforgettable memories that they can reminisce upon after high school.

“Prom was one of the greatest nights of my senior year,” senior Dylan Brokmeyer said.