Softball Advances to Regional Quarterfinals

Kyle Roemlein, Writer

A rainy Thursday and Friday did not keep the Mustangs from playing their way to a victory at the area match-up against the Seven Lakes High School Spartans.

Originally, the two teams planned to play a three-game series with game one being played on Thursday and games two and three being played Friday afternoon. With rain plaguing the field, however, the two teams were forced to hold off until Saturday, May 16 to play at Ranch.

Seven Lakes (18-10-1) was coming off of a series win over the Memorial Mustangs. Our Mustangs (26-5) had just defeated Mayde Creek in a three-game series to secure their spot in the regional quarterfinal.

Junior Hannah Broseman was the first player to enter the circle for the Mustangs. She got through the top of the first quickly and the bats backed her up as the girls scored four runs in the bottom of the first. The third inning saw Seven Lakes begin to get on base more frequently.

Broseman did not give up a single hit in the third, but a series of walks led to coach Mueller pulling Broseman in favor of sophomore Ashley Koncir. Koncir cleaned up the bases, but the damage was done as the Spartans scored two to make it 4-2. Ranch responded quickly with two more runs in the bottom of the frame.

The Mustangs then added two more runs, and Koncir pitched 4 and 2/3 shutout innings on a way to a 8-2 win for the softball team. With the win, the team advanced to the regional semifinal for the first time in Cy Ranch history.

The softball team will play Brazoswood this Thursday, May 21 at 7 P.M., with the second game following on Friday, May 22, and if necessary, game three will be May 23 at 1 P.M. All games will be at Dawson High School in Pearland.