Students Get Creative When Popping the Big Homecoming Question

These days it seems that every other post on social media has to do with students being asked to the school Homecoming dance. Littered across social media accounts are pictures of girls holding massive bears, dozens of flowers, and colorful posters with witty phrases.

So forget the classic ‘Will you go to Homecoming with me?’ question, which is typically the easy way to get a date to the dance. The bar has now been raised to using posters, flowers, and expensive gifts to create an elaborate proposal.

This year at Cy Ranch, students have put into practice these creative ways to get their date to say ‘yes!’ From dressing up in costumes to using sweets, students go out of their way to pop the big question.

“I was very surprised when I got asked to homecoming,” said sophomore Samantha Weeks. “My homecoming date showed up in a banana costume with a sign that said ‘I would go bananas if you would go with me to homecoming.'”

Weeks’ date showed no shame when he jumped into a silly outfit to grab a date to the dance. Trading in his dignity for a date, it was all worth the effort. However, not everyone uses crazy tactics like dressing up in a banana costume. Some use the best way to a girl’s heart: chocolate.

“I got asked to Homecoming by my date holding a sign that said ‘I would be blue if I didn’t go to Homecoming with you,’ while holding Bluebell ice cream,” said Katy Thomas. “I thought it was really cute. The sign went with the ice cream because the word blue is in the ice cream’s name.”

So while some may think these fancy ways of being asked to the school dance are silly and unnecessary, others love the idea of the big surprise.

“I think that some people go overboard with Homecoming,” said junior Grace Kittler. “It’s just a school dance but people treat it like it’s a marriage proposal or something. I’ve seen people get asked with gifts that are worth $70. I mean, if that’s what some people want to do, that’s cool but in my opinion you can ask someone in a simple way and still have just as much fun.”

“I think Homecoming proposals are fun,” said Weeks. “It’s cool to get to see how creative people can be just for asking someone on a date. And it’s always exciting when someone gets asked in a cute way.”

Whether you scored a date or plan on going solo to this year’s Homecoming dance, remember to take advantage of this fun social event.

The annual school dance that everyone is preparing for will be held at the Berry Center on Saturday, Sept. 19.