Cheerleaders Compete in the Gridiron Invasion

Zoe Ethridge, Writer

Cypress Ranch went above and beyond yet again, this time with cheer. The cheerleaders took to the air to take part in 93Q’s annual Gridiron Invasion. The cheer competition allows the cheerleaders to show off their skills on live radio, and the winner secures a free performance from Scotty McCreery for their school.

The cheer team and the famous Mustang mascots were herded into the tiny booth to perform their cheer routine for the 93Q radio jockeys.

Cy Ranch is the only CFISD school represented, and so winning  would mean more than just a private performance. To win, the cheerleaders know it won’t be easy, but that doesn’t stop them from believing they can beat the other representatives.

“I do believe we will win,” sophomore cheerleader Maddie Nolan said.

To prepare for the on-air performance, the cheer team practiced everyday after school for weeks and even created a unique cheer for the occasion. Though some of the cheerleaders experienced some nerves before the performance, going on the radio was an incomparable experience.

“It was really cool going on air,” Nolan said. “I would do it again. Everybody was really nice there. It was really fun, too.”

Voting for the Gridiron Invasion begins Monday, Nov. 2. Vote by texting “CYPRESS” to 70123 or download the 93Q app. Each person can vote a maximum of 10 times per day per voting method. The winner will be announced on Monday, Nov. 9.