Football Finishes District Run Undefeated

Kyle Roemlein, Writer

Our Cy Ranch Mustang football team made history this past Saturday, Nov. 7, when all of their dedication and hours inside the weight room and outside on the practice field paid off. Building athletic ability and chemistry brewed the program’s first undefeated district season in Cy Ranch history, earning them the district championship.

While doing this, the team also broke many of the program’s records and had some players in the top five in the district for various statistical categories.

The most impressive of the records is the school record for points scored per contest. Our Mustangs averaged 40.6 points per game and, only counting district, our boys in blue averaged 42.4. There was no true standout player for the Mustangs offense this year—it was a collection of talent from all positions.

One player, however, did shine a little bit brighter than others. Wide receiver and junior RJ Sneed tied for fourth in CFISD in touchdown catches with nine on the year.

Another star player, linebacker Brayden Stringer, saw his year end early in our game against Cy Ridge. Despite an injury, our defense has been able to hold it together and even improve quite a bit. Senior Noah Offut stepped up and was able to intercept four passes this year, making him second in all of CFISD.

A shut down secondary paired with a ferocious defensive line and a solid linebacker core led to the Mustangs being one of the top defensive teams in the district. This stout defense managed to only allow 20.3 points per game. That means our Mustangs, on average, won by 20 points. If that isn’t considered incredible, I’m not sure what is.

The team deserved to be celebrated and they were this past Friday night after their game against Cy Creek. They raised the gold trophy high into the dark sky that night and students along with parents cheered with glee over the sight.

All of these accolades and achievements deserve praise, but our boys will be back to work this week as they prepare to take on Memorial in the opening round of the playoffs this Friday, Nov. 13. Our Mustangs hope to make it back to the state title game again this year, but they will have a tough road with no games off allowed.

Buy tickets at lunch or at the Berry Center for the game this Friday at 7 P.M. so you can come out and support your Mustangs.