New “One Condiment Rule” in CFISD Schools

Sydney Young

CFISD’s new “one condiment rule” will go into effect in March 2016.

According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 17% of children and adolescents aged 2-19 have suffered from childhood obesity in the past decade. To reduce the 12.7 million children who are affected by unhealthy life style patterns, First Lady Michelle Obama launched her “Let’s Move” health campaign in 2010. The program was meant to encourage youth to eat healthy and stay active, especially while in school. The Cypress Fairbanks Independent School District took the responsibility of following this idea placed by the federal government by making significant changes in the food production system.

At the February High School Network Journalism Press Conference on Feb. 17, director of Cypress Fairbanks Independent School District (CFISD) food production services, Darin Crawford, spoke to students and staff in the district about the oncoming changes, obstacles and achievements the district has made regarding healthy eating habits.

Every five years new changes must be made according to new information and programs given by the school’s federal legislation. Crawford explained various regulations placed on food production in the education system to can often make it difficult to keep the customers happy while following many federal regulations.

“We have a three pronged approach when we look at what we are going to serve,” Crawford said. “One, is the regulations because ultimately it has got to meet the law. Two, what will kids actually eat because we want kids to actually consume [the cafeteria food]. Three is price because our budget is very tightly controlled.”

While following regulations such as that every student must have a fruit or vegetable with their meal, the district must also maintain a budget. In CFISD, 50% of the food production funding comes from a federal account, while the other 50% is received from revenue within the cafeterias. The funding in total averages out to approximately $30 million per year. However, that must be split among the 87 schools and education centers throughout CFISD.

Speaking on the fruit or vegetable rule, Crawford said that although it is expensive, and many students waste the food, it is worth the gamble to ensure children are eating healthy.

“It is going to take a long time before that impact is felt and it is very expensive,” Crawford said. “But the trade off on that is that if kids learn early, then ultimately health care should go down because there will be less diabetes, lower blood pressure. Now, kids who are in high school or middle school might take the fruit or the vegetable and immediately throw it away. But if it starts when you are in Kindergarten, it becomes part of your day [that] every meal has a fruit or vegetable.”

Crawford spoke on one of the biggest modifications that will be implemented in March 2016, which is that an entree will be paired with only one condiment. For example, a jar of Ranch dressing is usually provided to students who can pour as much as they would like. However, due to a new implement law from the federal government, students must only receive one pre-packaged Low-Fat condiment with their lunch. The school lunch services will also be unable to provide condiments for food that was not purchased in the lunch room.

The food production services must work diligently to follow administration’s rules while making sure the students and staff are pleased with the content. Although students may have trouble with accepting the “one condiment packet” rule, the reason for this is to ensure healthy eating habits. Speaking with the Cy Ranch lunch room supervisor, Mrs. Cantu, she mentioned that she would like for all of the students to know that the staff has no control over the regulations put into place.

“It is not in our hands, we would like for you to be able to get whatever you want,” Cantu said. “Every policy has a consequence but I think everyone will get used to this. We just need more time to implement the rules. I think it will be a process for the students to get used to.”

In order for the new rule to be followed in an organized manner, the lunch staff asks that all students simply follow directions by taking only one condiment.

“We don’t want to keep [all condiments] in the back,” Cy Ranch lunch room employee Jacobo said. “The students are so used to taking everything from the front and that helps make our job easier too. But we don’t want to take everything away from the counter tops.”

The one condiment rule has only just been in place, however Cantu says they have only received a few negative comments from students about the regulation.

“It is our job to enforce many of the procedures,” Cantu said. “And we try. I’ve just been telling the cashiers to use their best customer service but we need your help so we can enforce the procedures. As you can see, everyone is working hard and trying our very best to give [the students] the best and to serve [the students] better.”