Mustang Nation Shows Support For First Game

Between the football team, band, drill team, cheerleaders and the Classics dance team, these Mustangs have clocked in hundreds of hours, practicing diligently before the school year even started. And on Friday, Aug. 26, the Mustang Nation proved just how their hard work has paid off.

The first varsity football game against the Cinco Ranch Cougars took place at Rhodes Stadium where fans filled the stands for both schools. Navy and gold spilled throughout the visitors side, standing strong against a sea of maroon from Cinco Ranch supporters.

The Cypress Ranch student section, specifically, seemed extra loud under the bright stadium lights. In fact, many students involved in the school spirit club called Stampede, showed up to Rhodes Stadium hours before the game started in order to cheer on the boys in blue while they were simply running through pregame rituals.

“Stampede likes to come early to the games so we can paint up and just get ready together as a team,” senior Jasmine Quiroz said.

Going into the first game, varsity football players admitted that it would be a tough fight. However, after a long and hard struggle back and forth, the Cypress Ranch Mustangs beat the Cinco Ranch Cougars 35- 42, proving that “The Battle of the Ranches” was a competitive match.

Senior varsity football captain Lawson Pyles helped carry home the win alongside other fellow players. With 9 tackles, 1 sack and 1 forced fumble, Pyles is confident that the team will remain focused as they continue successfully through the season.

“It was good to be the first class to beat Cinco Ranch in the first game,” Pyles said. “But I know we still have some room to improve. It’s going to be a good season.”

Mustangs take the lead against the Cougars following the second half of the game.

During this first game, the varsity cheer team and Cy Ranch drumline were able to keep the spirits in the crowd loud and hopeful, leading chants such as “I Believe We Will Win.” Students in their first year of high school cheered next to students in their last year, creating a sense of unity among the Mustang Nation despite the age difference.

The Mustangs are off to a great start and can expect to continue being supported by this promising community of students, staff, and their families. Come out to the next game at 7:00 p.m. at The Berry Center on Thursday, Sept. 8, as our boys in blue go against the Cypress Falls Eagles.