Cypress Ranch Gets Involved During National Mentoring Month

Elizabeth McKnight-Townsend

Senior Pony Up mentors, Camryn Jones and Genesis Smothers, pose for a photo while talking through their discussion topics.

Hosted by the Harvard School of Public Health, MENTOR is an organization that has a mission to encourage the growth and success among young adults. In 2002, MENTOR succeeded in having January recognized as the national month for the mentoring process in order to promote the well-being of those in the younger generation. .

At Cypress Ranch High School, faculty and students have worked to join the movement by hosting mentoring opportunities such as little sister/big sister, tutoring, student helpers in classrooms, Pony Up, and PALs.   Two of the largest organizations, Pony Up and PALs are both offered to students who want to connect with their fellow classmates.

Pony Up is a monthly meeting where upperclassmen and their assigned freshman students meet to discuss any anxieties, questions, or thoughts the younger teens might have. From math questions to friendship guidance, Pony Up hopefully allows students that are new to high school to receive advice from those who have already conquered some of the battles. Additionally, the monthly meeting serves as a time where younger and older students spend time together to create unity and a community among all grades.

“Being a Pony Up mentor has been really cool because my little brother is a freshman,” senior Julianne Tallant says. “[During Pony Up meetings], I get to see him in a group of some of his friends and some of my friends and everyone is talking and laughing. It is just a good thing to see seniors helping freshmen.”

Elizabeth McKnight-Townsend

PALs (Peer, Assistance, and Leadership) is a full year class offered to juniors and seniors. In PALs, students are trained with skills that will allow them to successfully mentor students in local elementary and middle schools. In the beginning of the year, each PAL is assigned a younger student that is referred by their counselors. The mentees might have trouble staying focused in class, have a shy personality, or are just in need for an extra friend. Every week, students travel on a bus during their PALs class period to other schools in the Cypress area to meet with younger kids. The older students serve as a mentor, or PAL, to the younger students, called a PALee,  in a positive and consistent environment, allowing them to build a strong friendship throughout the year.

“Being a PAL has been one of the best parts of my senior year,” senior Camryn Graham said. “Seeing my PALees little, smiling faces run up to me every Wednesday and Thursday always makes the bad days better. It always gives me a chance to be carefree and silly, which I can’t always be in school. And just when you think you are not making an impact [on your mentee], something small sparks a fire in them and you know that you are their favorite part of the week, just like they are yours.”

Teachers and counselors are also confidants for students. The occasional counselor talks remind students that their teachers and advisers, while still remaining professional, are there to aid them in advice, both academic and personal.

Thankfully, at Cypress Ranch, the surrounding neighborhoods typically do a great job of providing support to students. Between crowded football stands, filled auditorium seats, and extended tutoring opportunities, the community has proved to show love and care for the younger generation in Cypress.

An extra hand is always offered for any student who may be struggling. Please look for it!