All State Student Musicians

The annual UIL All-State placements have finished, with several Cy Ranch students making either All State Choir or All State Band. This achievement is a huge honor bestowed upon only the most talented students. In fact, even being considered as a qualifier is an accomplishment within itself. Not only did several choir and band members make it into the All State Choir or Band, but many more competed and were awarded titles in other bands such as District or Area.

“All of these students making All State  is good for the music department,” Band Director Russell Holcombe said.

In Choir, seniors Jacob Barnes and Victoria Furlan, along with juniors Reed Sellers and Ryann Stringfellow  advanced to the All State Choir competition. Stringfellow sings in Chorale, while the others are in Chamber, and it is a huge achievement for all of the students. These individuals performed at the highest level of chorale music and the rest of the Mustang team is ecstatic for their achievements.

“The process is hard, but worth it,” junior and chorale member Elizabeth McKnight- Townsend said. “I feel that all their hard work has paid off.”

Band members, senior Paras Gupta and junior Alicia Piper, made it into the All State band category. Both individuals played their instruments masterfully and are dedicated members of the Wind Ensemble, hold leadership positions in band, and spent hours each day practicing for this competition.

“Gupta and Piper both made All State among some stiff competition, ” said Holcombe.

The All State Choir and Band competition provided recognition for the Mustang students who practice and work hard each day.

“It took a lot of practice and I had to practice daily in order to keep my edge.” Piper said. “I thought I was not going to make it at all so I am really happy.”

Through contests, football games, shows and live events, the band and choir student have made the music department at Cypress Ranch one of the most honorable in the district.