A Heart of Gold: Micah Smith

Emotion is what makes us human. Humanity is characterized by the unending struggle of day to day life with everyone attempting to make the most of the short time they have in this world. To be a great actor, one has to understand that emotion should not be taken for face value. Each moment spent in the theater is more time spent becoming more of a genuine person. By this logic, senior Micah Smith is the only person among us.

Micah Smith is a Cypress Ranch senior that was chosen as CFISD’s Student of the Week on Fri., February 10. Being heavily involved in theatre programs, Smith has gained an impactful position within the community. Smith credits this achievement to the fact that he loves to make people smile.

“I love to play characters that bring joy to people,” Smith said. “I don’t necessarily do it for the applause, but I love to walk out and see that everybody enjoyed themselves.”

Smith is a special type of person who touches the lives of those around him; almost everyone who comes in contact with him remembers that signature “Micah smile”. Not so popular for no reason, Smith genuinely cares about the well-being of others and is even planning on starting his own charity to help homeless teens based in Houston.

“My organization branches off The Happy Hippie Foundation in LA,” Smith said. “The number one problem in Houston is that teenagers on the street are being raped and sold. I live in a community where I get everything I want and there are others out there living in the streets.”

Smith is not known just by his bubbly personality. With a position in every performance in the school musicals since freshman year, Smith is known for his acting career. However, Smith never initially intended on going full on in theater, he tried out the class for fun and was placed in the competitive varsity theater. This really pushed him to try and advance himself in the theatre realm which manifests itself in his performances, as he can truly show the human form and the eternal struggle of living.

“I wanted to back off from theater my freshman year, but people saw something inside of me that I didn’t see,” Smith said. “They put me in varsity theater my freshman year and I just kept moving on from there.”

Smith says that he thinks that most of his talent comes from when he was younger, being melodramatic as a kid led him to be great on stage. In the future, Smith wants to potentially continue his acting career in Hollywood or just work on films in general.

“I plan on working in Broadway or working on films, as being able to work on a larger scale will give me a bigger outlet to help other people,” Smith said. “If things go wrong, I hope to be teaching theatre or any other subject as helping students fulfill their dreams or their goals seem appealing to me.”

It is obvious that Smith is a talented student who besides working on several projects to help those who have no voice to speak up. Smith is a truly genuine person who lights up the world of anyone around him and is bound to go far in life.