Spanish Students Go Eco-Friendly

Dany Insell

Spanish students inspect the Ford electronic vehicle.

Spanish III students were given a “Trash Art Project” to work on throughout the course of the grading period. The students had to create art out of trash, using at least three different materials. Next, they had to answer three questions in Spanish about how the materials affect the environment. Along with facts and statistics about pollution, the assignment also required a solution to eliminating the issue.

“For the fourth six weeks, we studied the environment, contamination, deforestation, storms, and pollution,” Spanish teacher Melody McAfoose said. “[The project highlighted] all of that and how it affects the environment.”

One of the art projects created by a Spanish student.

Students also inspected an electric car, discussing how technology and innovation can change the outcome of the planet. The students studied the negative and positive effects the electric car industry has on the environment.

“At the end of the six weeks, we studied electric cars and how they affect the environment,” McAfoose said. “I called Joe Myers Ford to see if they had someone who had an electric vehicle that could come out.”

For the second year in a row, the Spanish department managed to have a Ford employee speak on the Cypress Ranch campus about the electric car. The Spanish classes rotated through the assembly as the representative answered many questions the students had.

While the “Trash Art Project” allowed Spanish students to practice their learned language, the assignment also highlighted the importance of being eco-friendly.