Mock Trial Has Real Winners

Colton Kotlarz, Faith Wright, Shelly Pierce, Kelly Benton, Krystyn Malveaux, Daniela Herrera, Katie Pierce, Mariana De La Garza, and Julianna Trovar.

Lindsay Collier, Writer

On Saturday, Feb. 1, the Municipal Courthouse in downtown Houston was home not only to professional lawyers and judges, but also to high school students hoping to fill their lawful shoes. By partaking in mock trials, a competition in which students role-play a court case to gain experience in the courthouse, nine Cy Ranch students gained the opportunity to learn the intricacies of attorney law this past weekend.

This was Cy Ranch’s first year participating in the mock trials, and was the only public school to compete. Their lack of private prestige, however, didn’t deter the students’ talents and efforts.

“We shocked everybody,” said mock trials sponsor Lana Burns. “We blew them out of the water.”

Overall, Cy Ranch placed third in the competition.

While they are a definite benefit, the awards aren’t the only things gained while participating in mock trials.

“Mock trials teach critical thinking skills, public speaking, and problem-solving,” said Burns. “Plus, it’s fun.”

For mock trials participant and junior Faith Wright, mock trials has gifted her the experience of the inner workings of a courthouse, one invaluable for students pursuing an attorney law career. It has also allowed her speaking skills to improve.

“It has made me a better speaker,” said Wright. “It makes you sound intelligent and casual at the same time.”

Overall, the mock trials competition was an amazing experience for the students who participated.

“We look forward to doing it again,” said Burns.