Kickoff for Theater Arts

Grace Schlafer, Writer

On Thursday, Oct 26, 2017, Theater Arts kicked off their 2017-2018 showcase with their first Comedy Sports performance. The event was held in the Cypress Ranch Auditorium. It was a great start to what’s looking to be a great year for Theater Arts.

Cypress Ranch Theater Arts students preforming an improv skit that involves describing a story with one positive and one negative occurrence

Comedy Sports is an interactive event (usually between two schools) where students compete in an improv competition. Events are set by a referee (usually a theater arts teacher) and suggestions from the audience. The event does not have a define winner or loser – the purpose of this “competition” is to challenge participants and entertain the audience.

“Comedy Sports is such a good place to be,” senior Charlynn Hanes said. “It gives students and players the opportunity to improve not only their improv, but life skills as well.”

Charlynn Hanes on the far left as captain of her team during the Comedy Sports match

The Mustang Theater Arts Programs plans on expanding this year as they prepare for UIL competition in the spring. All participants are eager to share their passion for the arts. They all make sure each rehearsal and practice is time well-spent to prepare for their showcases.

“Our goal this year is to make UIL, and to have fun.” junior Ryan Cowhey said.

Ryan Cowhey on the far right in one of the events for the blue team

Be sure to purchase tickets for Cypress Ranch Theater’s production of “Hairspray the Musical” on November 9-11 at 7:00p or on Sunday, November 12th at 2:00p in the Cypress Ranch  Auditorium. Tickets are $20 for premium seats, $15 for adults and $12 for students and seniors.

You can you buy your tickets at:

http://cyranchtheatre.org/