Cosmetology Brings Home Gold at Regional Competition

Aziz and Villa-Gomez pose next to their award-winning creation.

Lindsay Collier, Writer

A month’s work of rigorous preparation all came to a gratifying peak the weekend of Feb. 22, when 33 cosmetology students took home state-qualifying awards at a regional competition. Two of these students, seniors Kimberley Aziz and Blanca Villa-Gomez, took home best of show in the fantasy division for their Dr. Seuss-themed project.

The students prepared for more than a month for the competition. Aziz and Villa-Gomez used their time to “braid and wrap” and construct a complex and whimsical project, worthy of first place recognition, inspired by the color and eccentricity of Dr. Seuss’s quirky children’s books.

“[To prepare] we did a lot of stuff,” said Villa-Gomez. “We braided a lot of hair. We braided and braided…”

The best of show award was a long time coming for Aziz and Villa-Gomez, who say the award was worth every ounce of sweat that went into the competition’s preparation.

“It was all worth it,” said Aziz. “All the money, all the work, everything.”

As for winning best of show, both Aziz and Villa-Gomez are very proud of their accomplishments.

“We were so happy [about winning],” said Aziz. “That was our goal, to make it and get best of show—and we got it. We were super excited.”

The excitement of this win, however, isn’t exclusive to the students.

“Our teacher [Nicole Bibbs] was more excited about it than we were,” said Villa-Gomez. “She gets her bragging rights.”

The state competition, where both the winning team and the 33 qualified students will once again put their creations to the test, will take place in Corpus Christi on Thursday, Mar. 27.