National Signing Day 2017

Shajid Hassan

15 of the 2017 Spring signees.

On National Signing Day, Wednesday, Feb. 1, Cypress Ranch witnessed 18 student athletes sign to play at the collegiate level. This day serves as a major stepping stone for athletes nationwide, as they commit their time and efforts in order to pursue their dreams.

Through years of hard work and dedication, 15 Mustangs committed to play football, two to play soccer, and one to play baseball. Among the 2017 Spring signees, student athletes range from playing at local junior colleges to major Division 1 universities.

Senior Carter Kidd is among one of the signees who committed to play college football. Kidd will be attending Concordia University Wisconsin in the fall, where he plans to “work hard at Concordia for one or two years and then try and transfer closer to home.”

“Playing football for Cypress Ranch prepared me to play football in college by having my brothers motivate me to push myself harder,” Kidd said. “I wouldn’t be where I am today without my coaches keeping me focused on what was important. This football program has made an enormous impact in my life.”

Other athletes, such as Kenzie Smith will be staying in her home state to attend Sam Houston University to play on the Division 1 Women’s Soccer team.

“I chose Sam Houston University because I love how the team acts like a family,” Smith said. “I also like that it is not too far away from home so my parents can still come to support me because they have all of my life.”

The CFISD athletic departments, including Cypress Ranch, are among one of the most competitive in the state. Through the coaches’ guidance, students’ dedication, and support from the Cypress community, students are given the opportunity to advance in their hobbies.

Speaking with Cypress Ranch head football coach, Gene Johnson, he gives “credit to Andrew Shanle for the work that was done in helping these athletes achieve their dreams. [Andrew Shanle] holds the position of recruiting coordinator on our campus and has been working with these guys for four years now. He has done an absolutely incredible job.”

With the efforts of the entire coaching staff, including Coach Johnson, Coach Parsons, and Coach Cephus, the Mustang athletic department has seen one of the most successful classes for student athletes.

“I think this is probably as talented of a group as we have ever had come through here,” Johnson said. “I think that statement is backed up by the fact that we have 15 of them that will be continuing their careers on the collegiate level. We also have three other seniors that may end up playing on the college level so we could end up with an astounding 18 class of 2017 athletes that would continue their career on the collegiate level.”