The student news site of Cypress Ranch High School

The Mustang Messenger

The Mustang Messenger

The Mustang Messenger

Heartbreak 13

Is Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s relationship really all that exciting?
Heartbreak+13

Don’t get me wrong, I am about as Swiftie as they come. I have been a fan of the pop star for nearly 11 years, and know almost all of her songs by heart. While I do love Taylor Swift and I do care about her happiness, I don’t understand why I should care who she dates. Whether she likes Joe Alwyn, Matty Healy, Jake Gyllenhaal, or the newest addition, Travis Kelce, it quite frankly does not affect me. I don’t care if Kelce is the best thing to ever happen to her, or her worst nightmare. I just care about the music. The thing I actually am a fan of. But if I had to choose between them getting married and living happily ever after, and him breaking her heart, I’d selfishly choose the ladder. 

In Kelce’s podcast called New Heights with Jason and Travis Kelce, he mentions his attempts to talk to Swift. “I was disappointed that she doesn’t talk before or after her shows because she has to save her voice for the 44 songs that she sings, so I was a little butt-hurt I didn’t get to hand her one of the bracelets I made for her,” Kelce says. “She doesn’t meet anybody, or at least she didn’t want to meet me, so I took it personal.” The Kansas City tight-end later reveals that he made her a friendship bracelet with his phone number on it which he was not able to get to her. 

These big efforts to make Swift like him should win me over, right? And they did for the most part, but I’ve done some thinking. Within my Swiftie career, I have found myself gravitating towards the heartbroken albums, such as Red, Folklore, and Evermore. Of course I want Swift and Kelce’s relationship to go smoothly and happily. I want them to be in love and have the time of their lives fighting dragons together (see what I did there?). Selfishly, I am praying for the downfall of the celebrities who have taken the media by storm, when we could get another depressing album out of it? Swift is an incredible songwriter, and her abilities stretch beyond sadness. Reputation and Lover, the albums about being in love, are great. I’ll be grateful for whatever art Swift releases but I don’t really resonate with them. I don’t listen to them the same way I listen to Folklore

My favorite song is exile (ft. Bon Iver), because it is one of the most beautifully crafted songs she has ever written. The bridge of the song is a duet displaying the idea of a man not understanding all the signals given by the girl, and it eventually tearing them apart. I want Kelce and Taylor to have a tearing exile moment.

It sounds awful, I know. But I don’t personally know Taylor Swift, I just know the effect her music has on me. I know the way that I feel when I listen to False God, the idea of being so in love you practically worship the man, and the way I feel when I listen to illicit affairs, a song about all the cons that come with having an affair.  The idea of Taylor having a broken heart in reality isn’t an appealing thing to think about, but this is her life. For the past 17 years she has been falling in love, breaking up, falling in love, and breaking up again. Why is this time any different? Is it because “everyone Taylor has dated are boys, Travis is a man?” Is it because Kelce “knows who he is dating?” Kelce is just the same as everyone else when you open your eyes. He is just a guy, she’s just a girl.              

What makes Travis Kelce the one?