The student news site of Cypress Ranch High School

The Mustang Messenger

The Mustang Messenger

The Mustang Messenger

Every Second Counts

Ranch claims victory within the last seconds.
Baylee Scalisi

Varsity Boys Basketball defeats Cypress Creek High School, 61-60, on November 14, 2023.

Ranch started off strong in the first two quarters of the game leading with a score  32-25. 

By the fourth quarter , Creek was able to catch up, leaving the score at 58-60, with Ranch down by two points. Despite how close the score was, the team stayed positive and in good spirits. “I’m not going to lie I was nervous at the end of the game but I know my team and I know that we could lock in when we really need to.” Donovan Browne said.

Nearing the end of the fourth quarter within the last six seconds of the game, sophomore Joshua Goodwin was able to obtain the ball and drive it down the court. Number two, Isaac Saavedra, was standing wide open, ready for the ball. Goodwin passed the ball to Saavedra, who then shot a three point shot, securing the win for Ranch in the last second. This quick move by Saavedra resulted in the final score of 61-60. “They got really close but we did not give up, we kept fighting and pushing.” Saavedra said.“This is our home court, there was more pride in the way we played. I didn’t want to lose.” 

Once the team secured their first home win of the season, students and players jumped around in celebration. “ When number two hit the winning shot, it happened so fast that I couldn’t process it. But then wherever everyone rushed onto the court it was such an “oh my gosh” moment.” yearbook photographer, Baylee Scalisi said.