The student news site of Cypress Ranch High School

The Mustang Messenger

The Mustang Messenger

The Mustang Messenger

The Pep in Pep Rallies

Spring Sports Pep Rally Postponed

The pep rally that was supposed to take place on Friday, March 21st has been canceled. Students who were to be recognized at the Pep Rally would not be present at the Pep Rally due to a rescheduled Track meet.  

“The impact of the weather that changed the track meet is also resulting in a postponement of the Pep Rally,” Shiela Garcia, Assistant Principal said. 

Even with sudden rain, it is my opinion that the pep rally could be moved indoors like it was during the homecoming parade. This situation begs the question of how significant pep rallies are. Two pep rallies  usually take place during 6th and 7th period, and take 30 minutes of class time per pep rally. 

Classes are usually around 45 minutes, so on pep rally days, there is not a significant amount of learning taking place. 

Many students see this as an advantage. “I like pep rallies because I get time off of my sixth period class, and I dislike my sixth period,“ Divya Patankar (10) said.

However other students believe that pep rallies are a waste of time.

“It takes me out of class when I could be doing something important and also it’s too crowded inside,” Mohammad Suleiman (10) said. 

Students in band, Classics, seasonal sports, etc. sometimes perform or speak at these pep rallies and their experience usually relies on how much spirit the student audience has.

“We don’t have as much motivation in our performances when everyone is just sitting there, not hyped,“ Brittany Ransbarger (12), a student in Classics said. 

Some teachers and school staff work to hype up the students in the stands due to the students’ lack of spirit. 

This year the school hosted a ‘winter sports’ pep rally for the first time in years. Whether or not it was a success might have played a part in the creation of this canceled pep rally.

“I think they finally realized pep rallies are just pointless,” Suleiman said.